SODEC_LAB @ HOT DOCS 2023: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Québec – March 14th 2023 –A first collaboration between SODEC and DOC Quebec.
DOC Quebec is proud to announce its first partnership with the Société de développement
des entreprises culturelles (SODEC) as part of the SODEC_Lab @Hot Docs 2023. This
SODEC_Lab will allow documentary producers belonging to underrepresented communities
in Quebec to participate in the documentary market at the Hot Docs festival in Toronto.
Professional activities offered to selected individuals:
- Two preparatory workshops and individualized mentoring before departure for Hot Docs.
- Individualized mentoring and on-site support throughout the Industry professional market at Hot Docs.
- Access to all networking activities and conferences. Practical workshops and meetings with decision-makers present at Hot Docs (for 5 days).
Details about the offer:
- An in-depth introduction to the Hot Docs festival and the Industry & Forum component.
- Allowing underrepresented communities to integrate into the Canadian-English and international films circuit. Establishing relationships between Québécois producers and players in the
- Canadian-English and international documentary industry, accredited at Hot Docs.
- Accreditation (All access Hot Docs Industry).
- Flat-rate accommodation and transportation allowance.
Who can submit an application?
This initiative is aimed at documentary producers belonging to underrepresented communities* residing in Quebec:
- Who have attended the Hot Docs professional market (Industry & Forum) less than twice.
- Who have produced a documentary film (short, medium, long or a documentary series) that has been selected in a major festival or commercially released.
- Who have a relevant feature-length documentary project or a TV hour format for the Canadian-English and/or international market.
- Who is available for preparatory workshops (week of April 3 and 10, 2023).
- Who is available on-site at Hot Docs from May 1 to 5, 2023.
- Identifying as BIPOC;
- and/or a person with a disability;
- and/or identifying as LGBTQIA+;
- and/or residing outside of Montreal (in a rural area, at least 100 km outside of Montreal, using the shortest route).
Documents to provide:
A complete file (in French or English) including:
- The candidate’s CV;
- Short biography (100 words max);
- The registration form duly completed online by March 28, 2023, at 11:59 pm;
- A project file: synopsis, intentions, budget estimate (maximum 5 pages).
To submit your application, please fill out the online registration form and attach all required
documents no later than March 28, 2023, at 11:59 pm.
Download the PDF Press Release Here:
SODEC is mandated to promote and support the development of Québec cultural
businesses, both here at home and around the world, in the fields of audiovisual, books and
publishing, fine arts and crafts, as well as music and variety. SODEC is also mandated to
protect and promote a heritage property portfolio of 32 buildings reflecting the Québec
About DOC Quebec
DOC Québec is the local chapter of the Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC), the
collective voice of Canada’s independent documentary creators. DOC was founded in 1983
to advocate for the interests of Canada’s growing community of independent documentary
filmmakers. Today DOC has over 1000 members across six chapters from coast to coast,
including 200 members in Québec.
For inquiries :
Esmé Tierney, DOC Quebec Coordinator,